324pc 3D Puzzle
More product information : Known as the most famous landmark of Berlin and Germany, the 26m (85 ft) high Brandenburg Gate was constructed by Prussian King Frederick William II during the period of 1788-1791. The Quadriga, the copper chariot sculpture drawn by four horses, was taken by Napoleon to Paris after the defeat of Prussia in 1806. Finally, 8 years after the victory over the French Army in the War of Independence, it was brought back to Berlin and the ancient goddess of peace, Eirene, turned into Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory with an iron cross and eagle added. Today, The Brandenburg Gate symbolizes the German Reunification and marks the former frontier between East and West Germany, which was located in Berlin’s restricted area from 1961-1989. It is a national symbol that is now depicted on the back of 10, 20 and 50 Euro cent coins. In order to keep the costs of approximately 200,000 Euros as low as possible, the gate is now completely closed off to motorized traffic.